Accounts Assistant Job Description, Duties & Skills in Kenya. Accounting jobs in Kenya. Accounts assistant jobs.
An accounts assistant plays a critical role in any accounting or business company. They work as part of the team that is responsible for maintaining finances within the company; typically report directly to the accountant or the finance manager. On a daily basis, an accounts assistant’s role includes balancing books to ensure that records and payments are correct and working with the sales team on current and future projects in the company.
There are many other tasks they might be subjected to such as issuing and writing Cheque books, sales order processing, preparing statutory accounts, and processing invoices as directed. This job takes place during normal business working hours, though in some places it may differ a little bit, but there may be special cases in which the accounts assistant is needed to help the accountant or the financial manager to meet task on deadline.
Accountant assistants work within an office, sometimes sharing same office with the finance manager and frequently use a computer loaded with accounting software. Accountant assistant’s work environment basically consists of a lot of paper work despite introduction of accounting software. Files and papers are normally scattered everywhere. Their Computers are usually equipped with accounting software and sensitive financial information about the company. Some of the accounting software’s include;
- Quickbooks Online – QuickBooks Online is a small business accounting software and app that allows you to manage your business anywhere, anytime
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise – This is the leading accounting software for small businesses. Instant access to customer, vendor and employee information.
- BuildSmart – BuildSmart is a fully integrated, web-based, enterprise management system providing industry aligned information to construction companies. This software integrates Costing, Project and Enterprise accounting for real-time analysis and effective project management. BuildSmart includes various modules comprising of Procurement, Accounting, Payroll, Plant, Yard & Store Management, Subcontract Management, Business Intelligence, HR and Time & Attendance.
- Wave Accounting – This accounting software offers small business owners real double-entry accounting that is integrated with the rest of Wave’s solutions, 100% free!
The accounts assistant must have a good understanding of accounting principles, good organizational skills, and typically some sort of accounting certification.
Anyone interested in a career in accounting and finance may have questions relating to the role of an accounts assistant, the key skills required and the job opportunities available in Kenya.
The purpose of this detailed piece is to answer some of the questions accounts assistant job seekers may have. We have outlined some of the basic questions and their answers to give our readers more information on the accounts assistant position.
Accounts Assistant Job Description in Kenya.
Accounts assistants supply administrative support to accountants by performing clerical tasks such as filing, handling mail, making phone calls, replying to emails and basic to advanced bookkeeping practices. What are the duties and responsibilities of accounting assistant? Below is a list of responsibilities of an account assistant in Kenya.
Accounts Assistant Work Duties / Responsibilities
- Monitoring daily communications and answering any queries.
- Preparing statutory accounts.
- Ensuring payments, amounts and records are correct.
- Working with spreadsheets, sales and purchase ledgers and journals.
- Recording and filing cash transactions.
- Controlling credit and chasing debt.
- Invoice processing and filing.
- Processing expense requests for the accountant to approve.
- Bank reconciliation.
- Liaising with third party providers, clients and suppliers.
- Updating and maintaining procedural documentation.
Accounts Assistant Qualifications / Requirements in Kenya.
Accounts assistants can be trained by taking a CPA course in Kenya or enrolling in any recognized accounting institution. For example, School of Monetary Studies etc. It is not necessary to have a degree in accounting, business or finance to become an accounts assistant however; it is this is an added advantage when seeking a job in well established companies. For medium sized companies, a certificate can land you a job.
Accounts assistants can also undertake specialist training with a professional recognized body in Kenya to improve their productivity and competence ie The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK). ICPAK is a professional organization that regulates the activities of all certified public accountants in Kenya. This body was established in 1978 by the laws of Kenya under CAP 531. Account assistants can level up their skills in Business Administration, book-keeping and finance.
Accounts Assistant Key Skills in Kenya
- Ability to work as part of a team and take direction accurately.
- Analytical thinker and problem solver.
- Competent IT skills, particularly proficiency with spreadsheet software.
- High level of accuracy.
- Extremely organised in a manner that is easily read by others.
- Trustworthy and discreet when dealing with confidential information.
- Administrative skills.
Accounts Assistant Employers.
- Secondary schools both boarding and day
- Primary schools, public and private.
- Well established companies and Institutions.
- NGOs and other non-profit organisations
Accounts Assistant Related Job Titles
- Accounting Technician
- Payroll Manager
- Audit Associate
- Financial Assistant
- General Ledger Accountant
|Accounts assistant job description in kenya|
|Accounts assistant job description pdf. Interview questions|
|How to Make a Good Impression in an Interview|
|Account assistant job description for resume|
|Best CV writing services in kenya. view here.|
|5 Job application tips to get your dream job|
|How to answer tell me about yourself and why should I hire|
|18 Work from Home jobs with zero Investment – Be a freelancer!|
Accounting assistant job description and salary in Kenya. What is the average salary of an accounting assistant? Average Accounts Assistant Salary in Kenya is roughly Ksh 350,100 per year. Although it’s not fixed, there are factors which can be considered for you to earn more. These factors include; Competency, Accuracy, trustworthy and workload. Account assistants normally earn 20k to 25k per month because their workload tends to be low sometimes.
An entry-level Accounts Assistant with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of KSh 350,100 based on various salaries reviewed. Accounts Assistant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of KSh 353,150 per year. The more the accounts assistant has experience, the more he or she will earn money. Many companies prefer candidates with experience in order to improve and increase company profits and productivity in due time.
Best Colleges and Universities offering diploma in Accounting and Finance courses in Kenya.
Accounting continues to be among the most marketable diploma courses in Kenya so far. Below is an outline of the best accounting schools in Kenya to pursue an accounting certificate or diploma. Having so many colleges and universities in Kenya, its important to know which University offers the best.
Top Ranking Best Accounting Schools In Kenya.
- KCA University.
- Orbit School of Management Studies.
- Star College of Management Studies.
- Summit Institute of Professionals.
- Strathmore University.
- Nairobi Institute of Business Studies.
- Zetech University.
- Vision Institute of Professionals.
For more information on how to join the above universities, visit their websites.
Conclusion: Why choose BuildSmart Enterprise Accounting?
- Web based / Cloud solution allowing real time global access
- Brings together all sources of cost: from procurement, payroll and overheads to plant and equipment, stores and workshops
- Real time comparison identifying cost variances by activity and type
- Enables control and risk management
- Debtor and Subcontractor tracking of advances and retentions
- Multi-location, multi-currency and multi-organisational enabled
- IFRS Compliant
- Fully VAT compliant
- WPS Compliant